Subject: Re: [docbook] Fwd: DocBook V5.1b7 RELAX NG schemas and Schematron schemas

On 2.8.2012 18:11, Hussein Shafie wrote:

> In my understanding, when you specify a:defaultValue="gee" on an
> attribute foo of element bar, then all the elements called bar must have
> a foo attribute with a:defaultValue="gee".
>
> More precisely:
>
> * DocBook 5.0 had just one <group> element having an optional rep
> attribute with a:defaultValue="norepeat", which was fine.
>
> * DocBook 5.1 has now 3 <group> elements. Only one <group> element has
> an optional rep attribute with a:defaultValue="norepeat". According to

Ah, I see it now, I missed that group (db.group.methodparam) and group
(db.group.paramdef) do not have rep attribute.

> https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/relax-ng/compatibility-20011203.html#default-value,
> this is incorrect. (Don't ask me why, I haven't understood the rationale
> behind this.)

Indeed, RELAX NG DTD Compatibility is can of worms. Rationale behind
this is simple -- witch such constraint it is possible to convert such
attribute definition into DTD. In DTD you can't define different
attributes for the same element used in several different contexts.

> The simplest fix is to remove a:defaultValue="norepeat" from attribute
> rep of group(db.group). The attribute rep itself is of course kept on
> group(db.group). It's only a:defaultValue="norepeat" which poses a problem.

It seems you are right. Probably we should use some custom annotation to
have default values in the schema for documentation purposes. Such
custom annotation will not have to adhere to DTD compatability rules.

> My guess is that as long as Jing does not enforce this (which is indeed
> a Jing RFE), this should not pose any problem to other XML product
> vendors. So for now, you may as well forget about this issue.

No, we should fix if there is a reasonable fix.

				Jirka