Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook Slides 5.0 beta1 available for testing

Hi Gabor,

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 13:32:37 +0200
Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@kovesdan.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> This beta version can be downloaded from here:
> http://kovesdan.org/files/slides-5.0-beta1.tar.gz
>
> After downloading, please start at the BETATEST file.
>
> Please at this point now report all inconveniences or bugs that you
> encounter.

Congratulations for your first beta! :-)

I haven't used the DocBook slides schema before, so I my experiences
are limited. I can only give you a comment about an issue in your
Slides schema at this current state.

One issue that is really underestimated (even for officially released
schemas by other organizations) are annotations. Most schemas that I've
seen doesn't contain them which is really unfortunate. That makes it a
lot harder for inexperienced users. Fortunately, DocBook is a positive
exception.

So one of the first steps that I usually do when I encounter a new
schema is to load the schema and play with them in my XML editor. As a
new user, it is a lot more convenient, obvious, and user-friendly to
get some "hints" during writing. That allows me to browse through the
list, read the tool tip and to get an idea about this element or
attribute. Luckily, if a schema contains such annotations, it is
displayed as a tool tip in my XML editor.

For example, here is a snippet for DocBook's chapter element (the
annotation is the indented line starting with ##):

  db.chapter =
    ## A chapter, as of a book
    # [... Schematron rules omitted ...]
    element chapter {
      db.chapter.attlist, db.chapter.info, db.component.contentmodel
    }

Unfortunately, annotations are not supported by Emacs/nXML if I'm not
mistaken. However, oXygen and others display them as a tool tip etc.

I think it will not be very hard to extend the Slides schema and add
these annotations.

Apart from this minor detail, it is really impressive. Keep up the good
work! :-)

--
Gruß/Regards,
    Thomas Schraitle