Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: [docbook] DocBook Slides 5.0 beta1 available for testing

Hi Justus,

thank you for the valuable comments!

Em 17-08-2012 16:40, Justus-bulk@Piater.name escreveu:

> - dbs3-upgrade.xsl contains a typo:
>   <xsl:template name="slidesinfo|foilgroupinfo|foilinfo">
>   should probably read
>   <xsl:template match="slidesinfo|foilgroupinfo|foilinfo">

Yes, seems a trivial error.

> - dbs3-upgrade.xsl does not conserve attributes (such as id, which
>   should incidentally be translated to xml:id) on dbs-namespaced
>   elements, due to limitations in the process.content named template.

I will fix this soon, too.

> - The generated HTML is invalid (at least with respect to the XHTML
>   schema I use) due to various empty attribute values (xml:lang, lang,
>   xmlns, class).

Hmm, yes, although they are not especially harmful, empty attributes
shouldn't be there. Will have a look.

> - Multiple mediaobject children appear all to be rendered, although only
>   one of them should be.  How can this happen? I would think that this
>   is handeled by the stock DB stylesheets, not by anything specific to
>   Slides. (I see this in informalequation/mediaobject, where I have
>   textobjects containing LaTeX and auto-generated MathML, respectively.)

I think I modified the template for this. If only one should be rendered
why does the schema allow more? DB Slides uses this possibility to allow
more imageobject's inside.

> - On my wishlist: speakernotes are currently only possible in specific
>   places within slides, foilgroup and foil (as they were in DB<5 I
>   think).  However, I see no reason to impose such restrictions.  Why
>   not allow attaching speakernotes to just about anything?  Here is what
>   I have done for ages, and what I would like the stock DB Slides to
>   adopt:
>
>     local.divcomponent.mix = speakernotes
>     local.component.mix    = speakernotes
>     local.example.mix      = speakernotes
>
>     (The use of local.* is of course my personal customization hack;
>     this just to indicate where I think speakernotes should be allowed,
>     at least.)
>
>   I then render speakernotes into my personal view of the slides (see
>   https://iis.uibk.ac.at/public/piater/talks/speaker/speaker.xhtml,
>   which I plan to adapt to the new Slidy output).

My own point of view is that one slide is one logical unit with limited
content so I would write one speakernote (but possibly more paragraphs)
about one slide, trying to summarize what I want to tell with that
slide. But I have no strong opinion on this so if you prefer scatter
your notes among real content elements, I don't object to such change.
I'll add this to my todo list. I'll also have to modify the stylesheets
so that you customize it.

> - Also on my wishlist: Target HTML5 output.  I'd like my movies to be
>   rendered by <video> elements, without my having to fiddle with
>   stylesheets :-)

I'm also thinking of such.

> - There are various sizing and spacing problems involving SVG graphics,
>   but I do not have the time right now to investigate whether they are
>   caused by your transformations or by weirdnesses in my own XML coding.

I also noticed some strangeness, especially in pdf but the FO markup
seemed right so I think it may be something in FOP. I don't have license
to any commercial FO renderer so I cannot check if they perform better.

Gabor