Subject: Re: [docbook] Rework of gentext.template in 1.76.0 broke custom contexts

Hi Jirka,

On Sunday, December 30, 2012 10:46:13 PM Jirka Kosek wrote:

> On 30.12.2012 5:37, Alexey Neyman wrote:

> > The attached patch restores pre-1.76.0 behavior: first check if text from

> > $local.template.node is available and perform xsl:for-each only if no

> > local

> > template is available. Is it possible to integrate this patch?

> Please submit bug and patch using tracker at the SourceForge:

> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=21935&atid=373747

> I don't see reason why this should not be integrated however I don't

> think this is a bug, localization code was designed to offer overrides

> for built-in translations, see:

> https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/201207/msg00013.html

Submitted a bug, patch attached:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3598963&group_id=21935&atid=373747

As to whether it is a bug, I beg to disagree: DocBook stylesheets are designed to allow a customization layer. If that customization layer has a template which requires some language-dependent text, such as the example in my original email - or in the other email you refered to - gentext.template is the natural choice.

The other options are:

- two different kinds of templates to select language-dependent text, one for "built-in" templates and one for "add-on" ones, which just adds unnecessary duplication of XSL code

- piggybacking such local context onto some existing context, which is, I quote, "Not nice, but will work".

Regards,

Alexey.