Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: XInclude 1.1

On 01/25/2013 11:03 PM, Norman Walsh wrote:

Fekete Robert<frobert@balabit.hu>  writes:
Having recently moved to docbook 5, I also deeply miss the xpointer()
scheme.

How did moving to DocBook 5 change anything? It hasn't been "removed"
 From DocBook in any sense. Tools that supported it in 4 should also
support it in 5, one imagines.

Now that I remember, the exact problem was that I couldn't find any XML validator that handled DocBook5/relax-ng and the xpointer() scheme properly. (Currently we are using a patched version of Jing.)

Robert

The functionality that I sorely miss is the possibility to
reference a tag using its ID, and xinclude everything that's within
the referenced tag, except the tag itself:
<xi:include href="blah.xml" xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";
xpointer="xpointer(//note[@id='mynote']/*)"/>

That looks like the xpath() scheme to me.