Subject: Re: [docbook] Toolchain for beginner?

On 04/09/2013 11:26 PM, Thomas Schraitle wrote:
Hi Bob,

On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 12:01:21 -0700
Bob Plantz <rgplantz@outlook.com> wrote:

I am almost there but cannot seem to get a good toolchain for writing
a programming book with docbook. [...]
Maybe take a look at DAPS, http://daps.sf.net
Not sure if this is what you need. To get an overview, look at the DAPS
Quick Start:
http://daps.sf.net/documentation/html/daps-quick.html

Thank you, Thomas, I'll take a look. But I do enjoy "getting my hands dirty" with low-level stuff. My books are on assembly language. ;-)
[...]
Since I'm new to docbook, my take is that I should start with 5.0.
DocBook 5 is prepared, but not really tested yet.

So, do you think it might be better for me to work with 4.x? I'm running Ubuntu 12.10. Their "standard" DocBook installation is 4.x. They have an online help wiki page on DocBook was written in December 2010 and is based on 4.x. I suppose that 4.x so widely used that it will not become obsolete soon -- probably not before my book becomes obsolete. :-)

--Bob