Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: Possible Catalog Issues for DocBook 4/5: Missing 'www' in System Identifier?

Hi Norman,

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 08:48:45 -0500
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:

> [...]
> I originally configured docbook.org such that www.docbook.org was a
> redirect to docbook.org. But in the course of moving it to different
> servers, that configuration has apparently been lost. I will try to
> fix that.

Thanks, but that was not the issue. :)

I'm talking about system identifiers resolved by XML catalogs. If a
server has or has not a redirect is only partly interesting. Actually
it doesn't affect catalog resolving at all.

Assuming a correct configured XML catalog setup, the system identifer
will never(!) touch the Internet directly. No redirect is taking place
or is ever used. That's the nature of resolving: search for the
respective URI in the catalog and replace it with the local path. No
Internet connection is established and as such no redirect.

So I'm sorry, I fail to understand what a redirect has anything to do
with catalog resolving. :)

> [...]
> I never intended the www to be used in the docbook.org domain.
>
> I guess I recommend that you don't use it. :-)

Ok, thanks. From a usability point of view, would it hurt to add the
additionally "www." into the catalog?

To be concrete, I would propose to add the following lines into the file
docbook/xml/catalog.xml:

 <!--                     vvvv- www. added   -->
 <system systemId="http://www.docbook.org/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd";
        uri="docbookx.dtd"/>