Subject: Re: [docbook] xi:include problem

On Tue, 2013-12-10 at 00:38 -0800, Alex Kleider wrote:
> On 2013-12-09 22:55, davep wrote:
>
> > Jing is a validating parser, it knows nothing of xinclude.
> > Use a tool to expand the xincludes prior to processing (validation and
> > transformation).
> >
> > HTH
>
> Thanks for the tip.  I did some searching and found xmlstarlet but it
> seems not to want to deal with RELAX NG:
> """
> alex@x301:~/Docbook/Opus$ xmlstarlet tr --xinclude
> /usr/share/xml/docbook/schema/rng/5.0/docbook.rng main.xml
> compilation error: file
> /usr/share/xml/docbook/schema/rng/5.0/docbook.rng line 2 element grammar
> xsltParseStylesheetProcess : document is not a stylesheet
> """
> A little more poking around and I came up with
> $ xmlstarlet tr --xinclude
> /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/docbook5/db4-upgrade.xsl dreamplug.xml
>  > dream.xml
> which when followed by
> $ jing /usr/share/xml/docbook/schema/rng/5.0/docbook.rng dream.xml
> all seems to work fine.
>
> I don't quite understand why a program that expands xincludes would
> want/need a style sheet.
> I would have thought that one wouldn't be necessary until the next step
> after validation:
> $ xmlto --skip-validation html dream.xml
> although xmlt never seems to complain at not having one.  I've assumed
> it was using a default.

xmlstarlet is not just a program for expanding XIncludes. You passed it
the 'tr' command, which is for applying XSLT. If you want to validate
against a schema and do XInclude processing, use xmllint, which will
happily handle both XIncude and RNG for you:

xmllint --xinclude --noout
--relaxng /usr/share/xml/docbook/schema/rng/5.0/docbook.rng dream.xml

--
Shaun