Subject: Re: HTML5 Audio + Video multiple sources

davep <davep@dpawson.co.uk> writes:
> I'm interested in your (and anyone elses) thoughts on HTML5 Norm?

It's not what I would have done, but no one asked me. As a refinement
of HTML for use in browsers as a skeleton to hang JavaScript actions
on, it's a very good fit. As a vocabulary to tag documents, it's
better than HTML4 if a bit...quirky.

> What functionality is lost please?

The HTML5 image/video elements, AFAICT, have no facilities for setting
the size or scaling, for example. In HTML+CSS you'd do that by
wrapping eleven divs with random class names [stop being fascetious -ed]
around the video and using CSS to style them.

We have "width" and "depth" (yes, I wish we'd named that "height"),
"contentwidth" and "contentdepth", "align", "valign", "scale", and "scalefit"
as attributes on the data element and carefully considered rules for how
they interact, see: http://docbook.org/tdg51/en/html/imagedata.html

If we adopted something isomorphic to HTML5, we'd lose the size and
scaling controls.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Internet connection, $19.95 a
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | month. Computer, $799.95. Modem,
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | $149.95. Telephone line, $24.95 a