Subject: Formal vs. informal

> I personally never did understand formal vs informal... or it never
> made sense to me?

Maybe those aren't good names but the distinction is simple: "formal"
objects have required titles, "informal" ones don't.

<title>This is a formal table</title>
<tgroup>...</tgroup>

That table will have a title rendered, possibly with a label, and if
the document has a "list of tables" it will appear in that list. It
might also float.

<informaltable>
<tgroup>...</tgroup>
</informaltable>

That table will just be rendered where it is, with no title or label.
It won't appear in the "list of tables" if there is one. It won't
float.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | 'Heartless Cynics,' the young men
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | shout, / Blind to the world of
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | Fact without; / 'Silly Dreamers,'