Subject: Re: xi:include problem

"Dew, Simon" <Simon.Dew@sbdinc.com> writes:
> xmllint ver 2.7.8 (on Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit) gives:
>
>  > xmllint --noout --relaxng %DOCBOOK_XML%\rng\docbook.rng Errors.docbook

On my Mac, xmllint definitely gives confusing errors.

$ xmllint --version
xmllint: using libxml version 20800
   compiled with: Threads Tree Output Push Reader Patterns Writer SAXv1 FTP HTTP DTDValid HTML Legacy C14N Catalog XPath XPointer XInclude Iconv ISO8859X Unicode Regexps Automata Expr Schemas Schematron Modules Debug Zlib Lzma
$ xmllint --noout --relaxng /projects/docbook/docbook/relaxng/schemas/docbook.rng /tmp/err.xml
/tmp/err.xml:14: element info: Relax-NG validity error : Element book has extra content: info
/tmp/err.xml:11: element book: Relax-NG validity error : Expecting element abstract, got book
/tmp/err.xml:11: element book: Relax-NG validity error : Did not expect element book there
/tmp/err.xml:11: element book: Relax-NG validity error : Expecting element audiodata, got book
/tmp/err.xml:11: element book: Relax-NG validity error : Expecting element example, got book
/tmp/err.xml fails to validate

It definitely appears to have gone off the rails, but the only thing
wrong with that file is the conref attribute.

Curiously, if you remove the conref attribute, the file validates. My
guess is that xmllint percolates the validity error up from the bad
attribute to the info element, decides that the info element doesn't
match any patterns (which, it doesn't) and so it's an "extra" element.
From there, I don't know what happens.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Time is the old justice that
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | examines all offenders.--
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | Shakespeare