Subject: Re: [docbook] document reviewing ideas

A short while ago I looked into the problem of visualising XML
document revisions made in parallel by several reviewers. Changes made
in parallel can be complex to resolve because they may conflict, but
parts of them may also coincide (intentionally or otherwise). Changes
made at the text or element level also need to be differentiated.

I came to the conclusion that ideally you need to provide a number of
ways to view that changes - ideally with a WISYWIG view synchronised
with a source view. For example, you could have a document view that
can show either all revisions together, with perhaps one reviewers
changes highlighted, or alternatively, when you hover over marked
changes it shows you the reviewer(s) responsible for those changes. An
alternate view would show you the document with each reviewers changes
applied as you select the chosen reviewer. I wrote a short blog
'Reviewing XML Documents for an N-way Merge' on this and a prototype
web app to try out some ideas - because much of the behaviour required
is dynamic - the blog is at:
http://blogs.deltaxml.com/2013/08/22/reviewing-documents-for-an-n%E2%80%91way-merge/

This approach requires that reviewers modify the source. Whilst this
might not sound ideal for reviewers unfamiliar with docbook (I
actually used DITA in my sample but many concepts are the same for
both), if the changes are just text based (corrections, deletions,
clarifications etc) then they should find they have few problems so
long as they use a decent XML editor. The next stage of course is
selecting the required changes and merging them in to the original
document - but this can be a lot simpler than understanding exactly
what changes have been made and where the conflicts lie.

Back in the day when I participated in formal document reviews, we
simply reviewed the rendered document and, in a separate form,
recommended the changes required (in plain text using section/para
numbers - and where it wasn't obvious - giving reasons for the change.
The document 'owner' would then take an age to respond with a new
version for review along with a modified version of the form saying
which change requests had been rejected and the reason - hardly ideal.
This isn't exactly relevant - but I did find that a good 'product
description' was essential when performing a review because all change
requests would be made in this context (with the product description
stating what the purpose of the document was, who it was for, and what
the reviewer's roles were).

Phil Fearon