Subject: Re: [docbook] How to use classsynopsis and friends

Hi,

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 15:35:10 +1100
Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au> wrote:

> [...]
> I guess I'm just not understanding a fundamental concept in docbook
> then. I had always assumed docbook was a pure documentation schema
> and not intended to model real world concepts.

According to its homepage:

   DocBook is a schema [...] maintained by the DocBook Technical
   Committee of OASIS. It is particularly well suited to books and
   papers about computer hardware and software (though it is by no
   means limited to these applications).
                                    ---http://www.docbook.org/whatis

I don't know what the designer had in their mind when they created
these elements. As far as I know, these elements were already in place
in version 4.1 and probably below. So DocBook carry these *synopsis
elements for a long time. Maybe at that time it was completely
sufficient for describing an API. ;-)

> [... "BoostBook" ...]
>
> That looks really interesting. I poked around a bit, but in its
> currently BoostBook state it looks like too much work to build and
> incorporate into our workflow. Is the branch something I can easily
> play with? Or do I need to wait for this to land in 5.2?

If you think this is something that is worth to incorporate into the
next DocBook version, I would suggest to open a request for enhancement:

  https://sourceforge.net/p/docbook/rfes/new/

--
Gruß/Regards,
    Thomas Schraitle