Subject: Re: [docbook] How to Contribute to the DocBook Project on GitHub?

On 19.10.2015 08:36, Thomas Schraitle wrote:
> Hi fellow DocBookers,
>
> thanks to the release of the new DocBook XSL stylesheets and the
> move from SourceForge to GitHub. Great to see this!
>
> Well, as the move to GitHub is still ongoing, I would like to shed some
> light on two questions:
>
>  1. How to contribute?
>  2. Which branching model does DocBook follows?

I imagine we could start by submitting pull requests. The maintainer can
then decide to give write permission to trusted developers to share the
work whenever seems appropriate.

As far as branches are concerned, I think the simpler the better. I
would definitely not start with something requiring any extensions. Just
use a "master" / "develop" split (or even "master" / "stable" if
development happens on master).

The more important (IMHO) questions are about the infrastructure needed
to support this:

* A working build system
* CI support (travis-ci ?)

With that working the state of a branch can easily be checked, and even
pull requests could be automatically built and tested. Once this is in
place, branching and merging, and by extension contributing patches
becomes quite simple indeed.

        Stefan