Subject: Re: [docbook] author

Hi Mike,

I just checked the schema, and you're right, there is no schematron (or relaxng) rule prohibiting this. I don't remember any discussion of this possibility, so there may not have been any particular intention for allowing it.

In fact, it looks like you can have as many authorgroups and authors as you want, interspersed in any way you'd like:-). And, you can have an authorgroup that has just one author. All of those variations are valid according to the 5.0 and 5.1 schemas.

I actually think that's okay, though I take a fairly permissive view of schema validation in cases like this:-). I'm not sure what other members of the DocBook TC think; maybe one or more will chime in.

The standard stylesheets appear to favor authorgroup when they encounter both authorgroup and author. That is, from my quick test, it looks like they simply ignore author if an authorgroup exists (which is probably why your author disappeared). However, they try to handle multiple authorgroups.

All that said, it might make sense in your environment to either add a schematron rule that prohibits this or catch it in a stylesheet customization. That way, you won't lose any authors.

Best regards,
Dick Hamilton
-------
XML Press