Subject: Re: [docbook] author

On 2015-12-16 16:00, Richard Hamilton wrote:
...you can have an authorgroup that has just one author.

I don't see any problem with that. In fact, it's what I'd do if I were starting a new DocBook doc, even if there was initially only one author, because it leaves a way to add additional authors/editors/etc. later.

The standard stylesheets appear to favor authorgroup when they
encounter both authorgroup and author. That is, from my quick test, it
looks like they simply ignore author if an authorgroup exists...

This to me *is* a problem. (I'm actually using dblatex instead of the standard stylesheets, and I don't recall what the dblatex does out of the box. We had modified it for our own stylesheets, and that's when I realized we had a problem with both ways of inputting an author.)

All that said, it might make sense in your environment to either add a
schematron rule...

I'm actually not familiar with Schematron, and it would be about the 15th computer language I would need to deal with. I.e. I'd rather not try to write up such a rule myself. So if someone on this list wants to do that, it would make me happy. That is: if an <info> element (or any other element) has both <authorgroup> and <author> as immediate daughters, raise a warning. Similarly for <authorgroup> and any of its other potential daughters.

The alternative would be to make <authorgroup> the obligatory parent of <author>. But obviously that would break a lot of existing documents.

Also, what is the preferred tool for validating an XML document against a list of Schematron rules? We use XMLMind for creating most of our docs, but it would be nice to have a tool that could be called from the command line to do that. The Schematron website lists two: Amara, which hasn't been updated since 2006 (which I guess could mean "stable"), and "UBL interim", whose website has disappeared.

   Mike Maxwell
   University of Maryland