Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: [docbook] future of DocBook XML Schema (XSD)?

Hi,

At present we are using declarations that reference the XSD, such as:

<book xml:id="some-guide"
      xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook" version="5.0" xml:lang="en"
      xsi:schemaLocation="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook
                          http://docbook.org/xml/5.0/xsd/docbook.xsd"
      xmlns:xinclude="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude">
</book>

It looks like the XMLSchema-related attributes are unnecessary. In other words, if I remove cached schemas from my editor (using IntelliJ IDEA), edit the book and open it again, this appears to work fine as well for validation and tag completion and so forth:

<book xml:id="some-guide"
      xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook" version="5.0" xml:lang="en"
      xmlns:xinclude="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude">
</book>

How does an editor know how to resolve that to http://docbook.org/xml/5.0/rng/docbook.rng?

We also use a tool for validation and link checking that currently uses the XSD, though it can no doubt be changed to use the RNG.

Regards,
Mark