Subject: Re: [docbook] incrementing item numbers in docbook

Hi Paul,
This will require customization of templates in certain modes. In general, titles are generated using a template in a mode applied to the element like section. That way it can find the title if it is a child of section or a child of info.

Numbered titles are generated by applying mode="object.title.markup" to the section. This mode engages the gentext files like common/en.xml to look up the appropriate gentext template like

<l:template name="section" text="%n. %t"/>

It fills in %n by applying templates in mode="label.markup" and it fills in %t by applying-templates in mode="title.markup". So you could customize the template for section in mode="title.markup" to first generate your lab label for sections that are labs, and then add the title if you want it.

Autonumbering is done in XSLT using the <xsl:number> instruction, setting appropriate attributes for what to count and when to reset the number sequence.

Ask if you need more help with the details.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net