Subject: Re: [docbook] Tinkering with the DNS for docbook.org

On Feb 26, 2018, at 4:27 PM, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:

> I don’t want to change the process for publishing to cdn.docbook.org
> dramatically. That limits the options. Near as I can tell, the only
> way to do this and stay on github.io is with some kind of proxy via
> cloudfare.

Cloudflare has scale and expertise, and quantity is a quality all on its own, but fundamentally they’re not doing anything you cannot do yourself.

Go with someone like Cloudflare if you need the scale or 24/7 availability of a big CDN, but if traffic is low enough to do without, you can do what you want with a reverse HTTP proxy server and Let’s Encrypt.

Now that Let’s Encrypt has built-in support for most every reverse proxy you’re likely to choose for this, it might be something you can do in an hour or two, especially since you’ve already got the traffic isolated by subdomain.

How much traffic are we talking about here?

(Here’s where you tell me how many people are pulling their stylesheets over the web on every document render because they either haven’t bothered to set up a local stylesheet catalog or have it misconfigured so it gets skipped.)