Subject: Re: [docbook] Help needed with xi.include in docbook5 (convert from docbook4)

Hi Pierre,

Am Thu, 24 May 2018 08:27:02 +0200
schrieb openHAB.Doc@web.de:

> How do I use xi:include in docbook5?

Read the topic "Modularize Your Document with XIncludes" in my cookbook:

  http://doccookbook.sf.net/html/en/dbc.markup.xincludes.html

;-)

> In the main document I have following entry:
>
> <xi:include href="overview/overview.xml"
> xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"/>
>
> The overview.xml is currently defined as docbook4 (see extract from
> overview.xls below). May this the problem?

Don't mix both versions. It may work, but it can give you all sorts of
strange problems and make things more complicated. Better stay with
version 4 _or_ version 5.

> When I try to create the html file
>
> xsltproc --output
> darktable.html /home/pierre/Downloads/docbook-xsl-1.79.2/xhtml/docbook.xsl
> darktable.xml
>
> I get following message:
>
> Element include in namespace 'http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude'
> encountered in book, but no template matches.
>
> What does the message mean?

Well, it means you haven't resolved the XInclude with the respective
file. :)

The xi:include element is a "pointer" to a file that has to be
included. If you don't resolve the file, the xi:include element stays
as it is and it is seen by the DocBook stylesheet. However, the
stylesheets doesn't define any template processing for this element.

To resolve the "xi:include" element you need to add the --xinclude
option for your xsltproc processor.

--
Gruß/Regards,
    Thomas Schraitle