Subject: Re: [docbook] Need help interpreting an error output

Hi Pierre,

Am Sonntag, 10. Juni 2018, 08:52:08 CEST schrieb openhab.doc:

> wenn I run the following command for my docbook5 (relaxng) documents:
>
> xsltproc --xinclude --output Test.html
> /usr/share/xml/docbook/xsl-ns-stylesheets-1.79.2/ html/docbook.xsl
> darktable.xml
>
> I get following error output:
>
> ERROR: xref linking to export_selected has no generated link text.
> Error: no ID for constraint linkend: "export_selected".
> [...]
>
> *What does it exactly mean?*

It means, that you've used an <xref linkend="export_selected"/> but you
haven't inserted the corresponding xml:id attribute somewhere. In other words,
you have a source for your cross reference, but not your target. I assume the
stylesheets has replaced the <xref/> with the "???" text.

Did you validate your XML document? You always should. Otherwise you get all
sorts of these "strange" errors.

Your usual workflow should be:

1. Validate your XML document with jing:

   $ jing docbook.rng YOUR_XML_FILE

   This is a step that *helps you* in discovering any errors in your XML
   document.

2. Check the result
   If there is no output then bingo! Everything is ok. However, if jing
   reports any validation errors you better fix them before you proceed.

3. Transform
   Was your validation succesful? Then, and only then, you transform your
   XML document into your target format.
   The DocBook stylesheets rely on a valid DocBook document.

Hope that helps. :)

--
Gruß/Regards
  Thomas Schraitle