Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] proposed additions to DocBook for programming languages

Hi Bob,

I haven't used DocBook for quite a while, and unfortunately have been too busy recently to keep track or even contribute. However, there are a number of unfinished tasks that relate to this topic:

On 2019-04-29 12:41 p.m., Bob Stayton wrote:

The DocBook Technical Committee has received a detailed proposal to enhance the DocBook schema to better document the details of programming languages. The Committee would like to request that those in the DocBook community who use DocBook to document programming syntax to look over the proposal and provide us with feedback. I'm sending this to both the 'docbook' and 'docbook-apps' mailing lists to ensure coverage, so my apologies for duplicate messages.

They are proposing a number of new elements. Since DocBook already has a large number of elements and since this markup is somewhat specialized, we are considering making it an optional extension to the schema, similar to the Publisher's extension.

Quite a while ago A DocBook extension was developed as part of the Boost project, adding support for C++ artefacts. While that work was based on DocBook 4, I eventually mentored a GSoC student to port this to DocBook 5, for eventual integration with both the DocBook 5 spec as well as stylesheet support. And while the GSoC project was successfully completed, the branch was never merged into master, and thus has never been formally released.

I believe all the work is contained in the "API" branch of the XSLT 1.0 repo: https://github.com/docbook/xslt10-stylesheets/tree/api. Notably, the extension RelaxNG specs are in https://github.com/docbook/xslt10-stylesheets/tree/api/docbook/relaxng/api/src, and the stylesheet (which merely translate into the "core DocBook" vocabulary) are in https://github.com/docbook/xslt10-stylesheets/tree/api/xsl/api.

It would be a shame if all of this work was wasted.

You will note in the comment that the proposal will likely be modified to use a generic synopsisinfo element instead of individually named synopsis info elements as originally proposed.

Here is a link to the proposal:

https://github.com/docbook/docbook/issues/111

Your review and comments will help the DocBook TC in their deliberations about this proposal. Thank you for your time.

--
Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises

Stefan