Subject: Re: [docbook] Biblioentry markup standards -- identifying the type of entry

On 10/06/2020 22:51, Richard Hamilton wrote:
Background: Iâve been using bibliomixed for XML Press publications. I
would like to move to using biblioentry, so I can cover more than one
output style. We primarily use the Chicago Manual of Style as our
guide, but I would like to be able to easily use other styles.

Should be no problem. I use biblioentry for all our bibliographic entries.

My objective is to create (over time) customizations that would take
a biblioentry in a consistent format and generate output that
conforms to Chicago, APA, and other styles.

That is virtually trivial if you use biblatex to do the formatting. I have XSLT which transforms biblioentries to BiBTeX format, and I just let XeLaTeX do the heavy lifting with biblatex and biber (because that takes care of UTF-8, which the old bibtex program gags on). Mail me directly if you want details or code.

As part of that effort, I decided first to look for and create test
examples for a variety of cases and begin creating guidelines.

That would be very useful. Our business rules are not yet codified :-)
One thing I do try to enforce is that articles, conference papers, and chapters in books (all items that occur *inside* something else) use

<biblioentry>
  <biblioset relation="article">
   ...author[s] and title and page number...
  </biblioset>
  <biblioset relation="journal">
   ...journal-related stuff...
  </biblioset>
</biblioentry>

and any mutiple authors or editors go inside authorgroup. This just avoids a mess of ambiguity later.

This first issue Iâve uncovered is the question of how to identify
what kind of entry an instance is (e.g., book, article, etc.).

You can use the list in section 2.1 of the biblatex documentation at http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ctan.org/tex/macros/latex/contrib/biblatex/doc/biblatex.pdf#page=8

Every bibliographic software system uses a fractionally different terminology (some call an article a journal, for example) but the biblatex list is the most comprehensive I have seen. I define a new attribute on biblioentry, @type, which is the list of valid types from biblatex. Or you could hijack @role or @xreflabel or something. Give each one an ID:

<biblioentry xml:id="smith1996" type="article">

I can find no standard method for doing that in DocBook, including the Publisherâs schema..

DocBook is a little reticent about bibliographic citation and reference.

The biblioref element type, for example, defines @linkend as IDREF
instead of IDREFS, which you need in writing when you want to make
multiple citations at a single point.

The ISO690 extension uses the role attribute on the biblioentry element.
We could argue forever about whether the type of document is a role :-)
I've never been shy about abusing someone else's DTD :-)

Certain types can be guessed at by looking at biblioset (if itâs
used) or the pubwork attribute on citetitle (if citetitle is used
rather than title).

Better to state it unambiguously in the biblioentry.

Both of these apply only if you use those elements. However, there
are plenty of examples where biblioset is not needed

All types except those where the work is published inside something else.

and would just add complexity. And citetitle seems not to be the best
choice for expressing a title in this context (especially if you want
to separate out a subtitle).

citetitle is for citing titles in the body of the document. I use the @linkend attribute to point at the relevant biblioentry and leave the element empty because I'm lazy: the ID/IDREF mechanism will tell me if anything doesn't match, and it's easy to transclude the element with the title when you transform the document.

So, am I missing something here, or is there no standard method for
defining the type of a biblioentry?

You are correct. Any good librarian will tell you there are lots of
categorisation systems and none of them are as good as the one you
invent yourself. But I prefer to re-use someone else's expert labour.

If there isnât an established method, does anyone have any ideas on
how best to do this?

After 30+ years, I haven't found anything that beats the combination of SGML/XML and LaTeX/BiBTeX, so I'm heavily biased.

Peter