Subject: Re: [docbook] [docbook-apps] Biblioentry markup standards -- identifying the type of entry

Thanks Peter, Tony, and Norm for your thoughts,

A lot to consider here. After reading your replies, I looked further into BibTeX, CSL, and OpenCitation,
then branched even further, looking at the Initiative for Open Citations (not do be confused with OpenCitation),
and some of the applications that store encode bibliographic information.

To me, this boiled down to two broad questions:

- What guidance can these initiatives provide in designing markup conventions for biblioentry?

- How can these initiatives make it easier to process biblioentrys into multiple bibliographic formats?

My thoughts are that on the markup side, these projects donât provide much guidance that can be
applied directly to biblioentry. The main thing they do is provide help with identifying what information
needs to be captured for a wide variety of bibliographic types, but not much guidance on how to structure
that information consistently in biblioentry. And, given the variation in how biblioentry is used in practice,
I believe that some conventions are needed if we want to make biblioentry useful.

I think there is also a pretty good argument for being able to convert biblioentry into BibTeX (as Peter does)
and for converting BibTeX (or some of the other formats) into DocBook. There there are thousands of
citations available in some of these formats, often easily accessible in web databases. Being able to select
and convert citations into DocBook would give DocBook users access to a huge number of citations