Subject: Re: [docbook] Why does <menuchoice> support multiple <guimenuitem> elements?

David O'Brien <daobrien@redhat.com> writes:
> If a GUIMenuItem is terminal, shouldn't there be only one? Our writers
> regularly include >1 inside <menuchoice> but we don't get any
> validation errors. What did I miss?

The line between descriptive markup and modeling is a bit blurry.
DocBook definitely dips its toes into modeling here and there, but it
isnât especially prescriptive where it doesnât have to be.

Iâm inclined to agree that you shouldnât put more than one guimenuitem
in a menu choice, but someone somewhere probably has a use case that
says they need to do it.

You can create a local customization that imposes tighter constraints.
If you do that, all of your documents will still be valid DocBook. If
DocBook is too constrained and you need to relax constraints, then your
documents wonât be valid DocBook and that may cause problems (technical
or political) for you. Thatâs one motivation for not being overly
prescriptive.

Norman Tovey-Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
https://nwalsh.com/