Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook Assemblies, IDs, and a proposal

Hi Thomas,

The issue of duplicate IDs was discussed during the development of assemblies. We did include one feature to handle the top-level ID of a topic. If you put an xml:id attribute on the module element in the assembly, then that value will replace the native xml:id value from the resource after assembly. That can take care of the top-level id only. We acknowledged that IDs on descendants are not affected, and would likely need an ID fixup process. We did not include that fixup process in the default assemble.xsl because there is no standard way of doing that, so different people will have different policies and methods for doing so. So if you use IDs on descendant elements of topics, we left that as an exercise for the reader. 8^)

I think allowing the trans:* attributes to the assembly schema would provide useful hooks for doing that fixup process during assembly. If you file an issue request on the DocBook Github site, then it will be considered by the DocBook Technical Committee.Â

Before proceeding, I wonder if anyone knows how DITA handles the issue of duplicate IDs?Â

Bob Stayton
bobs@sagehill.net