Subject: Re: [docbook] RDFa Lite inside <info>

> the last days I've looked into RDFa Lite and how to use it with
> DocBook.

Cool.

> I would like to add some (meta) information into the <info> element
> expressed with RDFa Lite attributes. However, it seems there is no real
> general, semantic-neutral DocBook element.
>
> For example, I would like to add an audience, categories of a text, and
> some keywords. I came up with this example:

Iâd be inclined to use DocBook markup for the specific properties youâre
interested in:

  <article audience="â">
    <info>
      <keywordset>
        <keyword>â</keyword>
      </keywordset>
      <!-- or subjectset if you have a controlled vocabulary -->
      <abstract>
        <para>aboutâ</para>
      </abstract>
    </info>

I imagine youâll want to run some sort of extraction process to get
metadata out of your documents (to put in a linked data store, for
example), and thereâs no reason not to map from DocBook metadata to
properties.

But that doesnât answer your general question.

> However, that feels like abusing the <annotation> element.

Yes, it does.

> Maybe DocBook needs a general <meta> element soley for  information that
> goes beyond the usual markup? Which could be used to distinguish between
> DocBook's own meta information and a foreign framework. Something like
> this:

DocBook 5.2 introduces such an element which can either contain content
or be empty:

  https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.2/meta.content.html
  https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.2/meta.empty.html

Itâs perhaps geared a little too strongly towards the HTML style of meta
element. It could probably be relaxed a little bit, so that name was
optional for example, to make it fit this use case a little better.

Norman Tovey-Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
https://nwalsh.com/