Subject: Re: [docbook] Defining sets of attributes that apply to an element depending on an active profile

Hi David,

I solved a similar problem of avoiding repeated text by using xref with @endterm. Not sure if this approach would work for you, but in your case, it might look something like this:

<section>
 <info>
ÂÂÂ <bibliomisc xml:id="repeat1">I don't want to type this twice, and I don't have to.</bibliomisc>
 </info>

You would hide the repeatable content in the section info's bibliomisc element with an xml:id. Then you refer to that as needed with profiled para elements.

An xref with endterm processes the content of the element pointed to, not the element itself, to form the link text. That would put the text contained in the bibliomisc in the para without the bibliomisc. You would need to customize your stylesheet so that an xref with xrefstyle="nolink" does not generate the actual link, but just generates the link text.

This approach does not require a preprocessing step, or complex xpaths, just a customized stylesheet and some user training about how to use this mechanism.Â

The biggest disadvantage is that it separates the text from the location where it is used, which might not work for you. You could instead put it in a <para xml:id="repeat1" role="hidden"> next to where it is used. Another stylesheet customization would not output role="hidden", but the xref process would still find it to generate the text.

<para xml:id="repeat1" role="hidden">This is text I don't want to repeat</para>

Bob Stayton