Subject: Re: [docbook] Assemblies, topics, sections and type

Hi Thomas,

I think a better possibility is to map topic/@type to section/@otherclass (and setting @class="other") during assembly. In DocBook 5.2, the @class attribute is added to section to support legal sections. The @class attribute already exists on the article element, so that would work if you map your topics to articles instead of sections. The topic element does not have an @class attribute, so there is no conflict there.

I see @type and @class as semantically equivalent for classifying elements. They differ from @role, which I interpret as applying to a specific instance of an element. So an instance of an element can be a member of a class but also carry a specific role for the given output.

The @class and @otherclass mechanism that is used several times in the DocBook schema is a bit awkward, but it is designed to support enumeration of @class, especially through customization of the schema. That enforcement of enumeration during authoring is important in some use cases. Other use cases that don't require such enforcement can use @otherclass in a looser classification scheme.

Bob Stayton
bobs@sagehill.net