Subject: Re: [docbook] No nested <meta> elements?

>          >My HA product</meta>

You canât do that in any case. You get either the content attribute or
you get element content, not both.

You could, subject to the things you canât do :-), but as you observed,
I think you could also justify having

     <productnumber>10SP1,10SP2,10SP3</productnumber>
     <productname>The ABCD long product name</productname>
     <abbrev>ABCD</abbrev>

You have complete freedom inside the meta element; you could even invent
your own markup. Meta inside meta would (to me, at least) suggest that
it was meta *of* the meta, not a further constraint on the value of the
meta.

> Another issue could arise, if someone customizes DocBook (as we do). The
> customization layer could potentially remove productname or any other inline
> element. This would seriously limit the selection. Allowing nested <meta>s
> would reduce this risk.

You can remove them from context where you donât want them and leave
them in meta.

Norman Tovey-Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
https://nwalsh.com/