Subject: Re: [docbook] No nested <meta> elements?

Hi,

On 18.03.22 13:58, Norm Tovey-Walsh wrote:
>>          >My HA product</meta>
>
> You canât do that in any case. You get either the content attribute or
> you get element content, not both.

You are right, I was aware of that, but I copied one of my older attempts
(which was wrong). :)

> You could, subject to the things you canât do :-), but as you observed,
> I think you could also justify having

>      <productnumber>10SP1,10SP2,10SP3</productnumber>
>      <productname>The ABCD long product name</productname>
>      <abbrev>ABCD</abbrev>

Yes, that would be possible. However, in that case, it's only _one_ product
with different releases.

If I want to use different productnumbers and productnames, this would no
longer be possible because the "cohersion" would be missing.

For example, to express different products inside the same <meta>, I would have
to use <phrase> like this:

     <phrase>
        <productnumber>10SP1,10SP2,10SP3</productnumber>
        <productname>The ABCD long product name</productname>
        <abbrev>ABCD</abbrev>
     </phrase>
       <!-- ... second product ... -->
     <phrase>
     </phrase>

It's possible, but not sure if this is something I would use. ;-) Probably also
a matter of taste.

> You have complete freedom inside the meta element; you could even invent
> your own markup. Meta inside meta would (to me, at least) suggest that
> it was meta *of* the meta, not a further constraint on the value of the
> meta.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

>> Another issue could arise, if someone customizes DocBook (as we do). The
>> customization layer could potentially remove productname or any other inline
>> element. This would seriously limit the selection. Allowing nested <meta>s
>> would reduce this risk.
>
> You can remove them from context where you donât want them and leave
> them in meta.

Yes, that would be an option.

Thank you for the ideas.

--