Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook XSD will be discontinued

JÃrgen Purtz <juergen@purtz.de> writes:
> On 17.01.17 00:07, Bob Stayton wrote:
> DocBook 5.2 is just around the corner. What is the status of the XSD
> schema support? Will it be dropped as mentioned 5 years ago?

I believe so. A non-normative XSD wouldnât be *that* hard to develop,
given the progress made earlier, but the TC decided not to continue
developing it.

> Will there be a DTD in 5.2? Are there plans for DTD in 6.x?

A DTD would, in principle, be possible as well, but even less useful as
it would be both non-normative and have no (actual) support for
namespaces.

Years ago, I thought it would be possible to generate XSD and DTD
versions of the schema mechanically, but I gave up on that project. I
think it would still be possible, it just turned out to be more
complicated and time consuming than I could justify.

I donât think itâs likely that a 6.x release would include either an XSD
or a DTD.

Norman Tovey-Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
https://nwalsh.com/