Subject: Re: [docbook] Direct rendering with CSS

> I haven't been paying attention recently: is anyone working on
> rendering the original DocBook XML with CSS in the browser, and thus
> bypassing the conversion stage altogether?

Not that Iâm aware of. For a lot of DocBook, it would be pretty easy. A
lot of DocBook markup turns into divs and spans with class attributes
when you run it through XSLT.

CALS tables would probably be impossible, but you could use HTML tables
instead.

Youâd have to place elements (for example: title, subtitle, author,
etc.) in the right order because CSS canât reorder them. Any rendering
that required reordering (footnotes, epigraph attributeions, some
synopsis elements, some mediaobjects) wouldnât work. I donât think you
could make a multi-page version because counters would reset on each
document (so every chapter would be chapter â1â), though maybe you could
fix that with some clever CSS.

I dunno. Maybe you could get pretty far.

Norman Tovey-Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
https://nwalsh.com/