Subject: Re: [docbook] Allow <info> as root element?

> currently, DocBook v5.2 (and previous versions) allows several elements as root
> element. However, it is currently not possible to use info "alone". Any reasons
> why?

I can see how reusing metadata might make sense in some environments. I
wonât speak for anyone else on the TC, but I tend to think of it as
being attached to something. It provides metadata for an element, and so
itâs not immediately obvious what it means sitting on its own.

It isnât that I thought there was any reason to forbid it so much as it
never occurred to me that it would be useful.

> Imagine you would like to share some common meta information among several
> articles:

Thereâs obviously nothing that prevents you from doing this. You can
XInclude this metadata file into several articles and then validate
them.

It would be a very simple Relax-NG customization to allow info in the
âstartâ pattern then it could be validated independently.

Norman Tovey-Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
https://nwalsh.com/