docstandards-interop-discuss message

Subject: Interoperability framework

For what it's worth, I have been working for some time to develop an
interoperability approach for applications implementing the
OpenDocument standard. This group might find some of the use cases
worthwhile. I maintain a (somewhat lengthy) conceptual draft here,
<http://opendocumentfellowship.org/node/221>.

The "interoperability subsets" section is still very thin. But interop
subsets/compatibility modes are the only method I've identified so far
for addressing the round-trip interop barrier between less featureful
applications of a particular type (e.g., outliners) and their
round-trip interoperation with more featureful apps (e.g., word
processors).

The general concept described on the linked web page is a standard
method of processing document metadata in implementing applications to
route documents to the appropriate application regardless of which
application has the operating environment's file type associations.

I'll stress that I am not a developer, just a tech-minded software user.

Best regards,

Marbux