docstandards-interop-discuss message

Subject: Re: [docstandards-interop-discuss] Clarifications / Scope of the intendedwork?

Hi David,

The intent is to share document-oriented content between organizations. For example, DocBook, ODF, or DITA content - human-readable documents.

When two different organizations (let's say company A and company B) adopt different document standards and then find they need to share content, typically they have to do one of:
- migrate: one of the two companies agrees to migrate their content to the standard used by the other company
- transform: create a transformation path between the two kinds of content - which can be complicated by fundamental differences between the standards, customization of the standards, and evolution of the standards over time.
- adapt: find a lowest common denomenator between the two standards, and both agree to transform to, and conform to, that common denomenator

The purpose of the proposed TC is to identify the common denomenator, and to create mechanisms for identifying differences and commonalities within customized versions of the standards. So: we want to define ways to interoperate at the level of standards definition, so that when people at the level of content creation hit an interoperability problem, there's a clearly defined path for solving it. IE, we want a standardized solution to cross-standards problems - specifically those to do with sharing of content in document-oriented standards such as DocBook, ODF, and DITA.

Re:
>Obviously there you can provide templates also and content headers, classifications and structure and
>content hinting - but it is of necessity a model where the content is much more relaxed and freeform

There's still a lot of room for structure, and for differences in degrees/kinds of structure. A DocBook procedure and a DITA task both provide a lot more structure than an ordered list, for example, and a DITA APIRef document provides even more - there is a continuum of structure/semantics within the document-based world, with relatively free-form standards like ODF or generic DITA at one end, DocBook or mid-specialized DITA in the middle, and LegalXML, S1000D, or further-specialized DITA at the other end.

>So - I believe you are discussing formalizing mechanisms for the latter - PDF, xdoc, odp and other rich document formats using XML?

Specifically we want to formalize mechanisms for exchanging content between organizations or applications that are using different XML document standards - so not PDF per se, but ODF, DITA, and DocBook, for a start, and hopefully others as we progress.

Michael Priestley
IBM DITA Architect and Classification Schema PDT Lead
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"David RR Webber \(XML\)" <david@drrw.info>

04/09/2007 08:52 PM

docstandards-interop-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
[docstandards-interop-discuss] Clarifications / Scope of the intended work?

Folks,

I'm just reviewing this - please see my comments and notes below,

Thanks, DW

"Increasingly, organizations need to collaborate and share content with
other organizations. As a result, XML interoperability between these standards is critical."

>>> Increasingly? I think the collaborative world has been upon us for the past several years here already!
>>> "between these standards" does not make sense - I think you mean "between these organizations own standards.."

These standards, however, have not been designed with cross-standard interoperability in mind.

>>> Again this is not clear - I presume you mean the organizations own practice and use of XML - not XML persay?

The Doc Standards Interoperability TC is intended to address the development
and documentation of scenarios for cross-standard content sharing; a
specification for an interoperability framework, including mappings from participating
standard formats to the framework; and requirements on participating standards

to improve interoperability.

>>> This mostly works - the last part of the sentence after "framework;" - on participating standards"
>>> should this be participating in/with standards? Or the participating should "developing" instead?

Then the last but MOST crucial question - what kind of content sharing are we talking about here?

If it is business transactional XML - then obviously OASIS has ongoing relevant work such as CAM and BCM, where frameworks clearly can be carved out for use cases - and templates and patterns provided there in tandem with that work.

However - I suspect you are referring to document exchanges of free formatted informational content such as legal documents, bid letters, technical manuals, informational documents, technical procedures, catalogues, brochures, literature and other non-transactional content exchanges?

Obviously there you can provide templates also and content headers, classifications and structure and content hinting - but it is of necessity a model where the content is much more relaxed and freeform.

The focus in this latter case is then on knowledge mining, knowledge representation and semantic alignment within the documents themselves.

Also typically these documents can be sent in support of transactional XML - e.g. as in with a Grant Application Submission - you have the transactional XML that contains details of the submitting organization, budget, duration and fixed content items, and then attached are supporting PDF documents - letters of recommendation, project definition and approach, prior related work, published work, facilitaties, and so on.

So - I believe you are discussing formalizing mechanisms for the latter - PDF, xdoc, odp and other rich document formats using XML?

Thanks, DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)