docstandards-interop-discuss message

Subject: RE: [docstandards-interop-discuss] Clarifications / Scope of the intended work?

Jim,

So I'm proposing to give authors a single XML-script syntax and functions to produce their content.

Vendors then provide support libraries for that function set for their own document formats.

Notice this approach has already worked once for W3C XML - its the DOM and DOM functions... we treat the page content at an abstract neutral model / page / text / metacontent / images / security controls - and provide functions that manipulate that.

Just so happens that someone has already written one of these - called iText - we borrow the model and function set here.  The fact that this came from PDF originally - just strengthens the belief that this works in the real world.

DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [docstandards-interop-discuss] Clarifications / Scope of
the intended work?
From: "Earley, Jim" <Jim.Earley@flatironssolutions.com>
Date: Tue, April 10, 2007 12:01 pm
To: "David RR Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info>, "Hudson, Scott"
<Scott.Hudson@flatironssolutions.com>
Cc: <docstandards-interop-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org>

David,

PDF is just one format, albeit a very important one with respect to
presentation.  Yet, my experience has been that the same content is
typically delivered in multiple formats (and I've yet to talk about
L10N/I18N issues), each with their own subtle differences in terms of
presentation requirements. To that extent, source content
interoperability
is vitally important to authors.

Jim

================