docstandards-interop-discuss message

Subject: RE: [docstandards-interop-discuss] Clarifications / Scope of the intended work?

Jim,

Yes agreed - we're talking apples and oranges here.

My need is immediate in the "now" of doc processing hell - where PDF and iText offer a workable solution ; -)

I'd also say docstandards-interop is also a misnomer.

What the intent here is to provide an open XML document representation that allows content sharing in a systematic and predictable way.

Perhaps a better TC name is contentexchange ?

Thanks, DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [docstandards-interop-discuss] Clarifications / Scope of
the intended work?
From: "Earley, Jim" <Jim.Earley@flatironssolutions.com>
Date: Tue, April 10, 2007 3:05 pm
To: "David RR Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info>, "Dave Pawson"
<dave.pawson@gmail.com>
Cc: <docstandards-interop-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org>

Dave,

Let me back up a minute to see if I understand where you're coming
from, and
perhaps this might explain some of the lively banter we're having
(honestly,
very good discussion):

Based on some of the threads so far, are the documents you're speaking of
making interoperable already in PDF? If so, iText is very useful
indeed for
extracting XML content, and would in fact be a viable way of extracting
content if the original source content wasn't available.

If not, here's where I am having cognitive dissonance :)  If the content
we're speaking of is in DocBook, DITA, ODF, TEI or other XML standard,
I'm
not sure how iText allows us to leverage that XML content in one of these
standards into another easily.

It sounds like we might be coming from two different angles at
"interoperability"?

Jim

================
Jim Earley