docstandards-interop-discuss message

Subject: RE: [docstandards-interop-discuss] Important topic/issue to pursue

Dave,

OK - let's clarify here how this all fits together.

We are using ebXML and WSDL based exchanges as part of the NIH document solution I mentioned - that's the TRANSPORT layer (similarly EDI and RosettaNet - transport).

The payloads themselves consist of XML, and XML + PDF.

The straight XML transactional stuff - is out-of-scope I believe (e.g. status query, account update, award notice - are all business transactional messages) - that's also the domain of UBL and OAGi.

In scope is the XML + PDF - where documents are being created along with XML metadata about those documents.  These could potentially be replaced by a package of DITA + xhtml + extensions.

Also - you may have OAGi and UBL use your stuff to define technical document specifications - e.g. the main UBL purchase order XML references highly technical parts - that are then described with a document package.  Notice that document package may be linked to - rather than included in the exchange.

Now - other aspects of the ebXML solution stack can be relevant - such as CCTS core components - to formalize definitions and descriptions of content items.  Similarly - you may want to provide registry services and business process definitions and partner agreements on formal document exchange responsibilities, access and control.

However - all that stuff simply provides implementation support.  For the focus here - I'd say ebXML is not really in scope - just a repository of useful tools that can help deliver solutions and support the approach for specific implementations.

This is why I mentioned in addition to the person-person - you also have person-machine-person to consider.

Thanks, DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)