docstandards-interop-discuss message

Subject: RE: [docstandards-interop-discuss] proposed TC name

Michael,

Your clarifications appear to open up the Pandora's Box again!

However - seizing on your "we can start small and grow" - and wanting to clarify what that means.

Notice you can always ADD things to your charter later - once you have finished the initial work!

So - what I was seeing you had said before on DITA + xhtml + extensions - is at odds with - "the interoperability story may include a common "hub" interchange format (not something authored directly)"

Again - this seems the exact quagmire that we want to avoid.

If you simply create a template format that matches the goals of having something clear and simple for document content and stop there - then you avoid the "how do I convert format XYZ into the format and then out to format ZYX?" - and leave that up to the individual vendors to sort out for their own products.

Also - if you claim some kind of interoperability - then people are going to notice that your format is loosey - and then you get into extensions of extensions to support legacy this and that requirement.

More ugly - but more to the point - you slip down the "BPEL" slope and people begin to wonder if you will ever start or finish or release a spec'!?!

Better in my judgement to start small - create something highly usable that people can implement right away - 80:20 rule - (xhtml certainly fits that bill) - and then circle back around to tackle the bigger issues later - once they are better understood.

Hopefully by then - as Peter noted - people will have got used to the fact that they don't need all that WISYWIG stuff anyway for what the business needs are - and that rendering is a separate vendor layer!

DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)