docstandards-interop-discuss message

Subject: Fw: [docstandards-interop-discuss] background materials for docstandardstelecon today

A lot of folks couldn't make it unfortunately - we didn't have strong opinions on the naming, although I have a preference for the first one because it a) captures the relationship between standards, which I think is key; and b) is a bit more general, which allows it to cover a wider range of deliverables in addition to the proposed metaformat.

I'd like to start by proposing that we go with the first name, and see if there are any objections. If there are objections, then we can go to a show of hands.

Regardless of the name, the next issue is the actual charter - we need to write up the agreed points below, incorporating the proposed deliverables and other information, to get agreed-on text.

Do we have a volunteer for the drafting job?

Michael Priestley
IBM DITA Architect and Classification Schema PDT Lead
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

----- Forwarded by Michael Priestley/Toronto/IBM on 06/25/2007 12:17 PM -----
Michael Priestley/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA

06/25/2007 11:01 AM

<docstandards-interop-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
[docstandards-interop-discuss] background materials for docstandards telecon today

proposed names

OASIS Interoperability for XML Document Markup Standards TC

OASIS Metaformat for XML Document Content TC

Proposed additional charter information:

- make clear who we are starting with (DITA, DocBook, ODF) but that we are open to participation from members of any open standards activity for XML document markup, and for users of those standards who have cross-standard reuse needs

- make clear what we mean by interoperability, per the discussion of degrees of interoperability here:

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/docstandards-interop-discuss/200704/msg00010.html

- provide an illustrative business scenario, per:

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/docstandards-interop-discuss/200704/msg00005.html

- provide a list of proposed deliverables:

       - documented scenarios for cross-standard content sharing, illustrating multiple levels of interoperability

       - specification for an interoperability framework, including mappings from participating standard formats to the framework

       - requirements on existing standards to improve interoperability

---------------

Here's the original statement of scope for background - I suspect it will become quite a bit more verbose with the above concerns taken into account :-)

One of the benefits that XML touted from early in its inception was that of platform independence. This independence

greatly helped in its widespread adoption, yet brought with it the unintended consequence of a proliferation of

standardized XML grammars. Document standards such as DITA (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/dita), DocBook

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/docbook), and ODF (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/office) all address a

similar need to mark up documentation in a platform-independent format.

Increasingly, organizations need to collaborate and share content with other organizations. As a result, XML

interoperability between these standards is critical. These standards, however, have not been designed with

cross-standard interoperability in mind. The Doc Standards Interoperability TC is intended to address the development

and documentation of scenarios for cross-standard content sharing; a specification for an interoperability framework,

including mappings from participating standard formats to the framework; and requirements on participating standards to

improve interoperability.