docstandards-interop-tech message

Subject: Re: [docstandards-interop-tech] Doc standards interop agenda

Title: Scenario analysis
Folks, attached is a DocBook section sample that can be used in the scenario. The sample was graciously provided by Michael Urban.

One question: what version of DocBook should we be validating with in our examples? This one is pointing to DocBook 4.4, though 4.5 is the latest...

Best regards,

--Scott

Michael Priestley wrote:

Develop schedule and assign work items based on scenario analysis:

Michael Priestley
IBM DITA Architect and Classification Schema PDT Lead
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

Scenario analysis

Interop scenario with implied artifacts and transforms

Table 1. Scenario with artifacts and transforms
Scenario Artifacts Transforms
govt worker begins drafting a policy note in ODF about the use of personal data received via email ODF policy note
govt worker pulls in the text of the relevant statute, which is in a DITA specialization DITA statute, DITA statute specialization DITA2ODF
govt worker pulls in the instructions on how to include the text of the disclaimer in emails, from an email software support Website written in DocBook DocBook instructions (email software docs - instructions) DocBook2ODF
technical author 1, using DITA, creates an internal policy and procedures website DITA concept, task, reference (policies and procedures)
and pulls in text from the DocBook email software documentation DocBook section (email software docs - security guidelines?) DocBook2DITA
and pulls in the legal text from a DITA specialization DITA legal doc, DITA legal specialization
and pulls in the relevant section of the policy note, written in ODF   ODF2DITA
technical author 2, using DocBook, creates a customized version of the email software documentation DocBook chapters and sections
and pulls in portions of the procedures web site, in the form of DITA topics and ODF policy notes   DITA2DocBook, ODF2DocBook
as the policy changes, or the email software changes, or the statute itself changes, all the references can be updated simply by rebuilding/republishing the content, since all reuse is by reference not by copy-and-paste

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE section SYSTEM "http://www.docbook.org/xml/4.4/docbookx.dtd";
[
<!ENTITY smtp "SMTP">
<!ENTITY unix  "UNIX">
<!ENTITY pop  "POP">
<!ENTITY  imap "IMAP">
<!ENTITY  pgp "PGP">
<!ENTITY  ssl "SSL">
]>
<!-- Sample graciously provided by Michael Urban -->
<section>
  <title>Security and Privacy</title>
    hand, electronic mail can be used to spread malicious computer viruses or other programs
    intended to create unauthorized access or damage to a computer system or network. On the other
    hand, it is not very difficult for an unauthorized individual to <quote role="figurative"
      >wire-tap</quote> unencrypted mail as it moves around the Internet, compromising the privacy
    of those who are exchanging mail. It is important to remember at all times that Internet
    electronic mail (and, by extension, mail internal to organizations that are connected to the
    Internet) is <emphasis>inherently unreliable</emphasis> with respect to both security and
    privacy. </para>
    is secretly sent along via some apparently harmless carrier, and carries out some nefarious act
    when it reaches the system. While our interest here is in Trojan Horses carried with electronic
    mail messages, other possibilities include CD-ROMs containing software of uncertain origin,
    programs downloaded from the World Wide Web, and so on, all of which should be considered
    suspect sources. When a Trojan Horse has the capability of reproducing itself, either on
    multiple files on a single computer, or from one computer to another, it is termed a
      <para> Not all viruses are Trojan Horses, but they are most commonly disseminated through that
        mechanism. Some programs, termed <firstterm>worms</firstterm>, propagate themselves around a
        network by exploiting known security flaws. The distinction in terminology is sometimes a
        fine one, and a single program may have Trojan Horse, virus and worm elements. </para>
    </footnote> and becomes a much more public nuisance. </para>
  <para> Trojan Horses are common in Internet mail because <emphasis>it is extremely easy to forge
      Internet messages.</emphasis> Recall the &smtp; dialog in XREF. The only
    way the &smtp; server (and, ultimately, the recipient) has of knowing who the sender of a
    message is is on the basis of what it is told in this dialog, or in the message headers. It is
    not hard for a programmer to construct an &smtp; client that lies about this. Thus, it is
    easy to send someone a message that appears to be from a <quote role="figurative"
    >trusted</quote> individual containing a Trojan Horse. </para>
    <para> Evil Chris sends out a forged message to Leslie, appearing to be from Leslie's system
      administrator. <quote>Here is a new update to Microsoft Word. Please execute the enclosed
        installer.</quote> When the attached program file is executed, it starts up a program on the
      computer that relays a transcript of every key Leslie types on that computer (including
      passwords to other machines on the local network) back to Chris. </para>
  <para> In this scenario, the Trojan Horse is used in its classical<footnote>
      <para>Beware of geeks bearing gifts!</para>
    </footnote> sense: to set up a program that will be used to <quote role="figurative">open the
      gates</quote> to a system protected by passwords. However, the Trojan Horse could not do its
    work until Leslie executed the enclosed executable. This is important to remember: a text
    message by itself cannot affect the system to which it is delivered<footnote>
      <para> OK, OK, a huge text message can affect free disk space, but &hellip; </para>
    </footnote>. There has to be some executable portion &mdash; an actual executable program or
    script, malicious macros that are executed when an enclosure is opened by Microsoft
      <productname>Word</productname>, a dangerous Java
    application, or the like. A cautious user will disable any feature that allows automatic
    execution or installation of mail enclosures, and will be particularly cautious about opening
    mail enclosures using powerful programs like Microsoft <productname>Word</productname> or
      <productname>Excel</productname>, or a &unix; shell &mdash; programs that can perform
    arbitrary actions dictated by their input data, often without the user's knowledge. By contrast,
    opening a JPEG image enclosure specifically using a program that does nothing but display JPEG
    images is safe, demonstrating an advantage of relatively small applications with specific
    functionality over large do-everything packages like <productname>Word</productname>. In
    general, remembering that mail can be forged, execute <emphasis>extreme</emphasis> care when
    opening mail attachments; on Microsoft operating systems, having an anti-Virus program installed
    and up to date may prevent damage in case a Trojan Horse is opened by mistake. </para>
    which mail is forged to look like it comes from a widely-used online business, asking the user
    to click on a link and connect to a site to verify their credit card or password information.
    Unfortunately, the link goes to a site whose general appearance mimics the legitimate business.
    Again, regard unsolicited email with suspicion, and unsolicited mail concerning passwords or
    other secret information doubly so. </para>
  <para> It is also not difficult for a reasonably skilled programmer to <quote role="figurative"
      >wire-tap</quote>' electronic mail (or any other unencrypted Internet communication).
    &smtp;, &pop;, or &imap; conversations are inherently insecure, and one should
    always assume that an eavesdropper may be intercepting the communication. Accordingly, you
    should <emphasis>never</emphasis> send confidential or critical information (such as passwords)
    through electronic mail without using some form of encryption. Similarly, &pop; and
    &imap; communications begin with a user password are normally transmitted in the clear
    (i.e., not encrypted in any way) and so is subject to similar wiretapping. If possible, one's
    &pop; or &imap; password should not be the same as one's other passwords (if someone
    gets the password, they will only have access to mail, not to other computers). </para>
  <para> Encryption technologies can address both privacy and security concerns. There are a number
    of encryption tools that can be used to secure the contents of mail; the most popular may be the
      <ulink url="http://www.pgp.com";>&pgp;</ulink> (Pretty Good Privacy) encryption system
    and/or the closely related and compatible implementation, <ulink url="http://www.gnupg.org";>
      <acronym>GPG</acronym>
    </ulink> (GNU Privacy Guard). These systems use a public-key encryption system to allow
    cooperating users to encode mail securely, and also allows one to use a <firstterm>digital
      signature</firstterm> so that a recipient can certify that a message (and its enclosures)
    actually came from the individual that it claims to be from. Because both sender and receiver
    must agree to use encryption systems of this type, they are less widely used than one might
    hope. However, most modern mail clients now make it fairly easy to use &pgp; if the user
    wishes to do so. For further reading on this topic, including instructions for setting up
  <para> Many &pop;/&imap; and &smtp; servers utilize the widely-used Secure Socket
    Layer (&ssl;) system to encrypt their respective sessions as well. This will secure the user
    password for &pop; or &imap; against wire-tap penetration. An &ssl; server starts by
    sending the client a <firstterm>certificate</firstterm> by which the client can verify the
    server is really the machine it claims to be (typically through a third-party certificate
    authority like VeriSign), and a public encryption key that is used (through a process of private
    key generation and exchange beyond the scope of this paper) to securely encrypt protocols like
    &pop; and &imap;. Most recent mail client programs can be configured to use &ssl; to
    encrypt at least &pop; or &imap;; some can encrypt &smtp; as well. However, since
    this is not necessarily the only &smtp; session that will carry the message, the message
    contents may still be intercepted unencrypted at another point in its journey to its
    destination. </para>
</section>