docstandards-interop-tech message

Subject: Re: [docstandards-interop-tech] Meeting next week?

Last time we met we agreed that we would initiate the formation of a technical committee, which starts with the formation of  a formal public discussion list. I did submit the request, but Mary had suggested an elaborated statement of scope which I haven't provided yet.

Here's an attempt at expanded information:

Document standards such as DITA (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/dita), DocBook http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/docbook), and ODF (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/office) are designed to enable standardized content that can be used across applications that conform to the standard. However, this reuse does not typically cross the boundaries of the standards, because the standards are not usually designed with cross-standard interoperability in mind. Members of the DITA, DocBook, and ODF TCs are forming a technical committee to address this problem. The work of the technical committee is likely to include the development and documentation of scenarios for cross-standard content sharing; a specification for an interoperability framework, including mappings from participating standard formats to the framework; and requirements on participating standards to improve interoperability.

Is that ok with folks on the current list?

Let's meet this Thursday to discuss taking the message back to our respective TCs. My apologies for letting the proposal lag.

Michael Priestley
IBM DITA Architect and Classification Schema PDT Lead
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Scott Hudson" <scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com>

03/29/2007 12:46 PM

"Dee Schur" <dee.schur@oasis-open.org>
cc
Michael Priestley/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, <docstandards-interop-tech@lists.oasis-open.org>, <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>
Subject
Re: [docstandards-interop-tech] Meeting next week?

I was going to ask the same question! Do we have everything we need to initiate the formation of a TC? Are we going to set up regularly scheduled meetings?

--Scott

Dee Schur wrote:

Just wondered what was going on with this group? What do we need to do to create the discussion list?
Thanks,
Dee