dsaw-program message

Subject: RE: [dsaw-program] Draft ITU invitation letter for your review

From the notes, I understood that ITU-T would handle registration and I was

From: simao.campos@itu.int [mailto:simao.campos@itu.int]
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 10:07 AM
To: echristian@usgs.gov; dsaw-program@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: toby.johnson@itu.int

Thanks, Eliot. Done.

Simão

-----Original Message-----
From: Eliot Christian [mailto:echristian@usgs.gov]
Sent: 22 June 2006 16:03
To: dsaw-program@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Johnson, Toby

In paragraph 6, please hyphenate "operation-ready" and delete "taking part"
from the phrase "demonstrating operation-ready applications taking part".

Eliot

 At 09:57 AM 6/22/2006, simao.campos@itu.int wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>Eliot and Toby Johnson (from ITU) just discussed the issues below and
reached the compromise in the attached.

>Please let us know should you have any further concerns!
>
>Thanks
>Simão
>
><< 0610-PWWS-Draft-Circ-V3.doc >>

Letter (our jargon for invitation letter) with the announcement and
invitation for our joint WS. A lot of what is in it is our boiler plate, but
more specific paras are 5, 6, and Annex 1.

>>I passed the text for objectives and draft programme through our "quality
control" person and he suggested some amendments which I consider an
improvement to to the text that I had extracted from our Concept document.
This affects in the Circular Letter:
>>- Paras 5, 6
>
>I cannot agree to the amendments of paragraph 5. One set of amendments is
in the second point of paragraph 5:

> - To demonstrate the availability and effectiveness of interoperable
> technologies based on the content standard applicable to all alerts
> and notifications for disasters and emergency situations
>
>The suggested amendments would result in this:
>
> - To demonstrate the availability and effectiveness of interoperable
> technologies based on content standards for alerts and notifications
> in disasters and emergency situations
>
>These suggested amendments to the second point of paragraph 5 would change
the meaning substantially. Instead of a focus on the particular content
standard (CAP), the amendment text would allude vaguely to "content
standards". Also, there would be a significant change in meaning by removing
the phrase "applicable to all". The amended text would imply that the focus
is on alerts and notification as they are currently used in disasters and
emergency situations. That is quite different from the actual point of the
demonstration, which is to show how alerts and notifications could be
stanadardized by using the CAP content standard.

>Another set of amendments is suggested in the fourth point of paragraph 5:
>
>  - To prepare an action list for filling gaps and promoting public warning
standardization, and identify key players that could collaborate on such
work.

>The suggested amendments would result in this:
>
>  - To prepare an action list for filling gaps and promoting public warning
standardization, and identifying key players that could collaborate on in
such work.

>Again, the suggested amendments would change the meaning substantially. As
originally agreed, the point speaks of a pair of objectives: "prepare an
action list" and "identify key players". In the suggested amendment, the
task of identifying key players would not be done at the Workshop, but would
instead become merely another item in the action list. I do think it is
important to actually make an initial list at the Workshop of key players,
taking advantage of the expertise assembled.

>I also cannot agree to the amendments in paragraph 6 (other than the
addition of an e-mail address):

>  The workshop will be accompanied by demonstrations of standards-based
implementations of alerting protocols providing all-media, all-hazards
public warning in various societies worldwide, in particular using the
Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) OASIS Standard. Organizations interested in
demonstrating running implementations are kindly invited to contact the
OASIS Secretariat (Dee Schur, Tel: 978 667 5115 x211, Fax:  978 667 5114,
<mailto:dee.schur@oasis-open.org>dee.schur@oasis-open.org).

>The first of the suggested amendments would change "standards-based" to
"content-standards-based". Again, this introduces confusion by implying that
we are dealing with more than one content standard.

>It is also suggested to replace the phrase "interested in demonstrating
running implementations" with the phrase "interested in taking part". This
chage is contrary to the agreement we reached in our last conference call:
that all demonstrators have at least a minimal demonstration of an actual
CAP implementation.

>>- Text of session objectives in Annex 1
>
>I have no objections to the changes in Annex 1 or elsewhere.
>
>Eliot

>This list is used by the program planning participants of the Workshop
>on
>
>"Advances on ICT Standards used in Public Warnings for Disaster Reduction"
>
>[organized by ITU-T and OASIS].
>

>To minimize spam in the archives, participants must subscribe before
>posting
>
>to this list.
>
>Subscribe:
>
>dsaw-program-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
>
>Un-Subscribe:

>List archives:
>
>http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dsaw-program
>
>List Guidelines: http://www.oasis-open.org/maillists/guidelines.php
>
>InterOp Policy: http://www.oasis-open.org/who/interop_demo_policy.php

This list is used by the program planning participants of the Workshop on

"Advances on ICT Standards used in Public Warnings for Disaster Reduction"

[organized by ITU-T and OASIS].

To minimize spam in the archives, participants must subscribe before posting

to this list.

Subscribe:

dsaw-program-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org

Un-Subscribe:

List archives:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dsaw-program

List Guidelines: http://www.oasis-open.org/maillists/guidelines.php

InterOp Policy: http://www.oasis-open.org/who/interop_demo_policy.php

This list is used by the program planning participants of the Workshop on

"Advances on ICT Standards used in Public Warnings for Disaster Reduction"

[organized by ITU-T and OASIS].

To minimize spam in the archives, participants must subscribe before posting

to this list.

Subscribe:

dsaw-program-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org

Un-Subscribe: