Subject: RE: Question

Comments between brackets below.

		bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Livingstone [mailto:s.livingstone@btinternet.com]
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2000 7:08 PM
To: DSML
Subject: Question

Hi All -
i have an implementation question and my LDAP skills are currently "in
transit", so it may not be too difficult.

I am representing my ADSI structure in DSML as as there seem to be few
examples, I am going a lot on intuition and the specification. I am fine at
representing classes and assigning them attributes to create schemas and
instances.

The question I have relates mainly to how to use DSML to represent a user
belonging to a particular group (class).
I have created a class to describe my user, a class to describe a book, but
how do I say the first is a member of the second?

[
Are you talking here inheritance, i.e. derived and base classes? Can't
imagine a user would be derived from a book but....

There is the concept in directories of structural and auxiliary object
classes. Structural object classes are very restrictive. They generally are
used to describe a single type of entry and their location in the DIT are
constrained by structural rules (e.g. an entry based on person class could
not be above one based on an organization class in the DIT).

Auxiliary object classes are generally more general purpose. Their location
in the DIT is not constrained by DIT structure rules. For instance you might
create an auxiliary object class with an attribute to hold a PKI
certificate. PKI certificates can be associated to people, routers, servers,
etc. Auxiliary object classes can extend structural object classes through
the use of content rules. Content Rules allow object classes to be grouped
(additional attributes can also be added or prohibited as well). So I might
create a content rule named PKI-Person which would combine the Person
structural object class and the PKI auxiliary object class. Entries based on
the PKI-Person would then include the attributes associated with the Person
class as well as the PKI attribute associated with the PKI auxiliary object
class.

If your problem is based on entry inheritance then the earlier comments are
correct. An entry inherits from entries above it in the DIT hierarchy. Its
Distinguished Name (DN)is made up of its Relative Distinguished Name (RDN)
and all of the RDN in the DIT hierarchy above the entry.
]

I have some ideas, but none that make an awful lot of sense, so help would
be appreciated.

thanks -
Steven

Author and Reviewer,
Professional XML, ASP XML, Beginners XML,
Pro Site Server, Pro Site Server Commerce
Wrox Press, http://www.wrox.com

Steven Livingstone
Glasgow, Scotland.
07771 957 280 or +447771957280