Subject: Numeric OID and LDAP equivalent of NMTOKEN

In several places in RFC 2251 such as:

  RFC 2251 Section 4.1.2
  The LDAPOID is a notational convenience to indicate that the
  permitted value of this string is a (UTF-8 encoded) dotted-decimal
  representation of an OBJECT IDENTIFIER.

    LDAPOID ::= OCTET STRING

The spec either gives an informal definitionl, refers to an X.500 spec, or gives a BNF spec of some substructure that could not otherwise be defined conveniently in ASN.1.

With XMLSchema we have the opportuntity to incorporate these subsidiary specs into the main body of the schema without any loss of functionality or burdening of client, client provider, or server.

No where do we proscribe where and if validation according to the schema occurs during any DSML processing.

ciao,
Christine