Subject: [dsml] Fwd: RE: DSML V2 Submission process

All,

Here is the response from Karl Best and the details on the process. Please review it and make sure we have our ducks in a row for the November 22 deadline.

Thanks,
Winston

Winston:

I'm glad you're asking now. Yes, it would be a shame to loose three
months. I'll be flexible with you as possible, and the reason I am
allowed 30 days for processing this is so that I can work with you to
cross the T's etc., but the cleaner the submission is on December 1st
the better for both of us.

There are no standard forms, just as there are no standard forms for
proposing a new TC. Simply sending me a document or email with all the
required info is sufficient. The spec and its documentation should be
pointers to docs on the TC web site; I will be sending this out to OASIS
members, and I would prefer to send them all pointers rather than
attachments.

The progression from Committee Specification to OASIS Standard is
described in Section 2 of the TC Process. Some parts of the IPR policy
also apply. Please read these docs to be sure, but I'll summarize as
follows:

1. The TC approves the spec as a Committee Specificiation. This requires
a 2/3 vote (TC Process section 1m.)

2. The TC decides to submit the Committee Specification to OASIS members
for consideration as an OASIS Standard. (This is a separate decision
from #1; this is not automatic.)

3. The TC submits to me by 30 days before the start of a calender
quarter (e.g. first of December) the items listed in section 2 of the TC
Process: "(a) a formal specification that is a valid member of its type;
(b) appropriate documentation for the specification; (c) a clear
English-language summary of the specification; (d) certification by at
least three OASIS member organizations that they are successfully using
the specification; (e) an account of or pointer to votes and comments
received in any earlier attempts to standardize substantially the same
specification, together with the originating TC's response to each
comment; (f) a pointer to the publicly visible comments archive for the
originating TC; and (g) a statement from the chair of the TC certifying
that all members of the TC have been provided with a copy of the OASIS
IPR policy. "

(e) isn't required in this case, as DSML has never previously been
submitted to OASIS. (f) just points to the mail list archive. (d) and
(g) are simple statements or certifications.

4. The IPR policy (3.2) says that any legal encumbrances (patents,
copyrights, etc.) for donated work must be identified when the work is
submitted to OASIS membership. Since DSML v1 was donated work then I
assume that there may be IPR issues. The resence of IPR issues doesn't
automatically kill anything; it's just that these issues must be
identified when the spec is submitted. Also, IPR 4.0 requires that the
OASIS copyright be attached to the spec docs.

Please call or write with any other questions; I'll do everything I can
to work with you to make this all work.

</karl>
Karl F. Best
OASIS - Director, Technical Operations