Subject: Re: [dsml] DSMLv2-draft10

Jeff Parham wrote:

> > I don't read that out of RFC 2251.

  I hadn't meant to include that, but anyway...

> Which part?  4.1.4 states that the AttributeType can be a textual name
> (e.g., "cn") or an OID (e.g., "2.5.4.10").  4.1.5 states that an
> AttriubuteDescription is an AttributeType followed by an optional
> sequence of options.  This implies "2.5.4.10;binary" is a valid
> AttributeDescription.

RFC 2251 is ambiguous in that it says:

"An AttributeType takes on as its value the textual string associated
with that AttributeType in its specification."

  But what is the "textual string"? The textual name or the OID or both?
It later says:

"A specification may also assign one or more textual names for an
attribute type."

  It doesn't refer to an OBJECT IDENTIFIER as a "textual string"
anywhere. As a matter of fact, the only time "textual" is used in the
RFC is for the textual attribute name and for errorMessage.

   But it is possible the authors intended for "textual string" in this
case to mean either the "textual name" or the "OBJECT IDENTIFIER", in
which case "2.5.4.10;binary" would be a valid AttributeDescription, so I
accomodated that possibility in the definition of AttributeIdentifier.

> >  "AttributeDescriptionValue" sounds like the value of an
> "AttributeDescription", while here it connotes either an
> AttributeDescription or a NumericOID. Same mistake as calling it OID
> (but reverse). How about something more neutral, like
> AttributeIdentifier?
>
> DSMLv2 AttributeDescriptionValue (and our previous "OID") is the syntax
> for an LDAP AttributeDescription.  DSMLv2 AttributeDescription is the
> element that has a name attribute, where the value of the name attribute
> is AttributeDescriptionValue.

  OK. It can use the strict definition I supplied (the union of textual
name and OID, potentially followed by options.

Rob