dss-comment message

Subject: Re: [dss-comment] DSS as a encryption/decryption oracle.

Hi Timothy !

>  Here's what I think are necessary:
I agree with all your precautions. All this should be taken into account
when designing a real implementation. But I wouldn't like to see a mix
of concerns between DSS spec and implementation details.

E.g. there are many efforts out there that care about authentication. I
don't believe we could design a better authentication solution 'en
passant' . So let's concentrate on our primary goal and leave the rest
to other experts !

>  - The service must implement signature schemes that are provably
>  secure against both chosen-plaintext and chosen-ciphertext attacks.
>
>  - The service must not allow unauthenticated signing operations.
> This  > impedes the ability of any attacker to use the service as an
> oracle.
>
>  - The service must sign only objects, not hashes of objects. This
>  impedes an insider's ability to utilize the service as an oracle.
I don't like signing a hash and the German-Sig-Law-Profile prohibits
it's use at all.

But except within an odd PKCS7 mode there is always a second stage of
hashing involved. So the hash as it is usually don't serves as the input
to the encryption step.

>  - The service must implement detection and prevention of misuse.
> This  > impedes the use of the service as an oracle, and provides
> support for  > denial-of-service protection. However, as the "normal"
> volume of the  > service increases, the ability to detect misuse
> decreases.
>
>  - The service must utilize hardware security modules for private
> key  > operations. This supports service non-repudiation.
>
>  - The service must implement some form of authority delegation.
> This  > provides support for attribution and non-repudiation.
>
>  If nothing else this should be covered in implementation guidance,
> as  > security considerations, which appear to be missing from the
>  standard.
I don't think we could cover all DSS usage scenarios even roughly. It
spans from simple intranet transport protection to legally binding
signatures.
The security aspects are very domain-specific and dtmo should be
targeted there, not by the general DSS.

Greetings

Andreas K.

Andreas Kühne