dss-dev message

Subject: Re: [dss-dev] DSS services and European Signature law

Hi Pim,

thanks for raising this interesting topic !

Due to my understanding only the smart card and card reader were seen as
a 'Signature Creation Device', the software surrounding this device is
called 'Signature Processing Unit'. Don't know how these terms can be
defined precisely, but usually there used this way. Of course the
signing software is the one doing the hashing and creating of the
signature, also its true that the software creating e.g. a document to
be signed could / should be considered being 'Signature Processing
Unit', but anyway ... not our job to define this.

But seeing a DSS implementation as a 'Creation Device' or as a
'Processing Unit' it can't be evaluated "EAL 4+" just by looking at the
interface spec ! This process usually involves detailed design, code and
environment reviews what can't be done with the DSS spec alone.
Nevertheless I once defined the 'German Sig law' profile to require
complying to the german legal framework, what involves some assurance of
security. Having a server implementing this profile, a user can be sure
to have the requests being processed in a law compliant way. The details
of the fulfilment of the regulations are left to the implementor. So
there was no need to go too deep into the difficult compliance details

Maybe it would be handy to have a 'EU directive compliance' profile,
maybe the member state regulations are too divergent for a EU-profile to
useful ... don't know.

By the way, we are building an open-sourced implementation of DSS, maybe
some philanthropist wants to sponsor the security evaluation ?

Greetings

Andreas

Andreas Kühne
phone: +49 177 293 24 97